Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Sunday Bag

So, a few weeks ago at church I looked around at all of the other mothers of young children and realized something. None of them were carrying big overstuffed diaper bags like I was. They were all carrying cute little tote bags. This is when I realized that I didn't need my huge diaper bag anymore. All I really need for those few hours is a diaper and pacifier, really. So I decided to join the "in" crowd and downsize to a cute tote bag.
The only problem with this decision was that I didn't have a cute tote bag. I had several plain canvas tote bags, but again, not very cute. I was trying to decide what I could do to spruce up one of these bags when I remembered this. I looked up more images for sashiko embroidery and decided on the pattern that I wound up using. I didn't want to bother with trying to find a pattern that was the same size as my bag, so I grabbed a plastic cup and started tracing. I completely free handed it, so the circles are off center a little bit. But even with those imperfections, I really like how it turned out. In fact, I like it so much that I am now constantly thinking of other projects that I can make with other sashiko designs.
So I took my new bag to church on Sunday and everything I needed fit, plus it looked really good too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment