Friday, June 13, 2014

The Red Chair

Shortly before I had my first baby, a very sweet neighbor gave me an old rocker she had had in storage for a while. Admittedly it wasn't very pretty, and she hadn't remembered that the back was broken, but I wanted it anyway. I threw a blanket over it and kept it in the baby's room.

When we bought our house I kept it in the play room for a place for me to sit or nurse while the kids play. When I turned my attention on decorating the play room, I finally decided what I wanted to do with that chair.


Here is the before. I had used a blanket thrown over it to cover it up but to also add some cushioning. It, frankly, was not comfortable. So you better believe that when I replaced the cushion (or lack thereof) I used 2" foam. It's comfy now! I know that there are tons of really great tutorials out there that show how to replace the cushion on chairs, so I checked out a couple and jumped right in.



After taking the seat off, I replaced the cushion and added new cute fabric to cover it. I then set the seat aside and began work on the rest of the chair. It had been stained at one point, so I took my little sander to it to get that off. That admittedly took a couple of hours. When that part was finally done, I started painting it. I used a paint plus primer spray paint. I used two cans, but it could have used a third. I was just so ready to be done I called it good. (It really does look fine how it is though.)

I needed a cover for the back not only for some extra cushioning, but to cover up the broken slat. I used the same material that I had used for the seat. I measured across the top and down the back to get the size of  cover I would need. I then cut out 4 rectangles that were the proper size. I sewed 2 of them together inside out, turned, and top stitched. Then with the other 2 I did the same thing, but added batting. I also topstitched 2 lines going down the front to keep the batting in place and to look nice. Then I simply sewed the 2 rectangles of fabric together and using ribbon tied them onto the back of the chair.


What a difference huh? I love it and it goes so great in our play room. I now have a really comfy place to sit with the kids in that room, if they let me. They now think it's theirs! But in my house that is just a sign of how great it is.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment